Monday, January 07, 2013

20 in 2012

This was third year that my lovely wife and I had our book challenge. If you’re unfamiliar with our event, we each try to read at least 20 books within the year.

Since I read a lot of comic collections and art books, every 10 of those types of books I allow myself to count one book to my list because it wouldn’t be fair to Heather, who like an adult, only reads novels and grown-up type tomes.

This year I read 21 “actual” books (prose, novels, whatever) and 21 comic type books. So, my count comes to 23. Success I say. Even without the comics I made my goal. There are already books stacked up in our bedroom ready to be read in the 2013 challenge.

Here are all the books I read this year:
  • Rickles’ Book: A Memoir by Don Rickles with David Ritz (I love Rickles.  This was a funny book that I felt could have had a lot more in it. Quick read.)
  • The Pin-Up Art of Dan DeCarlo, Vol. 2 edited by Alex Chun and Jacob Covey (Great collection of vintage DeCarlos.  He always makes it look easy.)
  • The Confession by John Grisham (As I’ve said before, I’m not above reading the “vacation” or “airplane” book. His books are always quick and entertaining.)
  • The Lion by Nelson DeMille (Like Grisham he usually delivers.  Even though I gave up on “Up Country”)
  • The Walking Dead Vols 15 and 16 by Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard (So, so good.  I have Vol. 17, can’t wait)
  • Blaze by Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) (I really liked it, fast read)
  • Invincible: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 2 by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley (Awesome art, awesome story.  Really need to get Vol. 3 soon)
  • Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King (Four pretty dark stories)
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey (Fun-nah.  Had David Sedaris feel at time.  Several literal LOLs)
  • X-Men: From the Ashes by Chis Claremont and Various Artists. (This was a re-read for me of some classic comics)
  • Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants by Kathyrn Immonen and Phil Noto (Bought this for the Noto art alone)
  • The Celebrated Cases of Dick Tracy, 1931-1951 by Chester Gould (Beautiful art with mostly wacky stories.)
  • The Hammer Story by Marcus Hearn and Alan Barnes (Cool look inside an innovative movie studio)
  • Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (One of my favorites of the year. Like World War Z but with robots)
  • Tank Girl 1 by Alan C Martin and Jamie Hewlett (Bought mostly for Hewlett’s art. I wish the movie had been better)
  • Duma Key by Stephen King (I really liked this one)
  • They Call Me Baba Booey by Gary Dell’abate (Awesome book for Stern fans)
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I believed the hype and it was right. Ready for the next one)
  • Battle For The Planet of The Apes by David Gerrold (You could read this in a day. Mainly for POTA fans.)
  • Fletch by Gregory Mcdonald (Was always curious to read this, differs from the movie a lot)
  • Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes by Karl Kesel and Terry Dodson (Bought it mainly for the art, but the story was good too.)
  • Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay (Another great Dexter book.)
  • Chew Vol. 3 by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Always a good time)
  • Just After Sunset by Stephen King (Good collection of short stories)
  • The Overlook by Michael Connelly (Quick, entertaining LA crime novel)
  • Escape From New York by Mike McQuay (The movie was a big player with me as a kid.  The book  was a great addition, goes into how Snake got incarcerated.)
  • Challengers of the Unknown Vol. 1 by David Wood, Jack Kirby and Ed Herron (Great art, fun but dated stories)
  • Rough Treatment by John Harvey (British crime book I picked up for a buck.  I liked it.  Might have to read some of his others)
  • The Batman Vault by Matthew Manning and Robert Greenberger (Very cool book, just like ....)
  • The Marvel Vault by Roy Thomas and Peter Sanderson
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson ( A little disappointed with this one because, spoiler alert, Lisbeth spends most of the time in the hospital. These books are better when she’s up and doing stuff.)
  • GI Joe Volumes 1, 3-8 by Larry Hama and Others (Old Joe stuff can be hit and miss on the art front, but the stories are always fun)
  • Mighty Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis and Frank Cho (Mainly bought this for the Cho art, which was awesome.  The story was decent.)
  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (This was my favorite book of the year. If you like geeky stuff, especially 80s-based geeky stuff, this is a must read)

No comments: